When it comes to organising a public event over several hours, days or even weeks, there are many logistical factors to get in order, not least the arrangement of adequate sanitation facilities. Not only is it imperative to ensure you have enough onsite toilets to accommodate all guests and visitors, but you must also guarantee that they remain in a clean and hygienic condition for the duration of the event.
The trouble is, those in charge of putting on such events rarely have enough time to manage all of the tasks and navigate all of the obstacles that inevitably crop up throughout its duration. A busted flush, clogged drain or unsightly toilet cubicle are the last thing they need to worry about with so many other issues occupying their attention, which is why it makes sense to delegate that task to someone else.
This is where toilet attendants come in. As trained professionals who know their way round a cistern like the back of their hand, these unsung heroes of festivals, fairs and other mass gatherings of people can discreetly but deftly keep toilet stalls clean, restock supplies and generally ensure that the running of the sanitation side of things comes off without a hitch. For higher class events where impressions matter, a capable toilet attendant can be worth their weight in gold.
So instead of asking the question, “does my event need toilet attendants?”, it might be more pertinent to consider whether or not you can afford to get by without them. Of course, they’re not necessary or even suitable for all situations, so it’s worthwhile taking the time to understand the services they offer, the advantages they bring and whether or not they would be a good fit for your event. Fortunately, this handy, informative article contains the answers to all these questions and more.
Table of Contents
What do toilet attendants do?
Like a football referee, toilet attendants belong to that class of employment that is somewhat thankless and underappreciated. Indeed, most people are often only aware that these individuals exist when they do a bad job – or if they’re not present at all. As such, a competent toilet attendant will often go unnoticed, but the hard work they undertake in keeping portable toilets and public bathrooms in a spotless condition is certainly an invaluable service.
With that in mind, you might be unclear on exactly what these unsung heroes bring to the table. If that’s the case, cast your eyes over this rundown of their general duties and services:
- Cleanliness – First and foremost, a toilet attendant is on hand to ensure that your portable toilet, luxury toilet trailer or easy access toilet remains in a presentable and hygienic condition for the duration of your event. While such a detail might not spring to mind as the highest priority on your to-do list when it comes to organising these kinds of affairs, a dirty toilet will certainly stick in the mind of attendees – for all the wrong reasons.
- Maintenance – There’s nothing worse than a toilet which won’t flush or a cubicle door which won’t lock. Even worse, people may need to answer the call of nature with some urgency, so even if it’s apparent that a toilet is out of order, they might choose to do their business regardless. This situation is a recipe for disaster and can lead to sizable problems for you and your staff. With a dedicated professional on hand to address any issues as and when they arise, you can nip them in the bud right away.
- Safety – Have you ever heard the phrase “slippery when wet”? A bathroom floor which is allowed to degenerate into a sodden mess, either through leaky taps or – dare we say it – mishaps involving missing the bowl, can quickly present a health and safety risk for those using the space afterwards. Not to mention, of course, that such a scenario is likely to disgust anyone confronted with it. Armed with their trusty mop and bucket, a toilet attendant is always prepared to clean up such spillages and return the bathroom floor to a safe condition with the minimum of fuss.
- Restocking – We’ve all been there – you’ve just finished up your business, then you realise that there’s a desperate shortage of toilet paper on hand to clean yourself up. At public events or private functions, where portable toilets experience a large amount of footfall, running out of supplies like loo roll, soap and hand towels is a common occurrence. Having a toilet attendant in place to keep an eye on stock levels and top them up as required is a sure-fire way of ensuring you don’t get caught short and your guests are kept stocked and satisfied.
- Crowd management – When your toilet attendants are not busying themselves with putting out all of the above fires, they can also serve an important role as liaisons between the event staff and the visiting public. It’s not unusual for portable toilets to experience lengthy queues, which can sometimes lead to frustration and even disputes among toilet patrons. With an attendant on hand to provide directions, answer questions and make sure the whole process runs smoothly, you can avoid such unpleasantness altogether.
Of course, not all of these duties will be required for every situation, so it’s important to consider which of them are appropriate for your event and discuss the subject with the service provider before signing any contract. If you’re in any doubt over what is and what isn’t in the remit of the toilet attendant you hire from LetLoos, feel free to get in touch with our customer service team to iron out any misunderstandings or confusions.
What are the advantages of hiring a toilet attendant?
Now that you’re a little more informed about what a toilet attendant actually offers in terms of their role, it’s sensible to ask whether hiring one would add value to your event. As mentioned above, the nature of the job means that many people don’t even notice a toilet attendant’s presence until they are absent, which may trick you into thinking it’s not worth the bother of contracting one. To remedy such misconceptions, here’s a quick rundown of the benefits that hiring one can bring to your occasion:
- Customer satisfaction – This is, without a doubt, the biggest advantage of hiring a toilet attendant for your event. With a member in staff in place whose sole focus is to maintain the cleanliness of your sanitation facilities, you’ll show your guests and visitors that standards are important to you. This will leave them with a lasting positive impression of your event and could earn you valuable word-of-mouth publicity among their friends and family.
- Smooth running of the event – With umpteen plates to keep spinning and so many concerns occupying your attention for the duration of a festival, the last thing you want to be distracted by is a broken, leaky or dirty toilet. Delegating the supervision of your sanitation facilities to someone else guarantees that any issue will be dealt with pragmatically and immediately, contributing to the overall success of the occasion.
- Legal compliance – Depending on the nature of the project you’re managing or the event you’re organising, there may be a legal requirement for you to provide a certain number and a certain type of toilet facility for your guests. For example, it’s now incumbent upon those in charge to ensure that there is disabled access provided for less mobile guests. Renting an easy access toilet is instrumental in meeting your legal obligations – but so too is ensuring it is presentable and usable for the duration of your event.
- Professional standards – When you hire a toilet attendant from LetLoos, you can rest assured that you’ll benefit from a highly trained professional with plenty of experience in handling all kinds of bathroom-related issues. Having that kind of expertise on your side can be invaluable in ensuring that your toilets are cleaned to an impeccable standard and kept in top working order at all times. Quite simply, there’s no substitute for the experience of our staff.
- Staff management – Speaking of staff, you’ll no doubt have your own team of employees tasked with managing the operational aspects of the event. From caterers to engineers to gofers to couriers, these individuals will be focused on their own specific duties and won’t have time to devote their energies to toilet management. Hiring a dedicated attendant will take care of that concern and free up your other staff members for the jobs at which they excel.
- Prestige – Last but not least, an event which has toilet attendants in place communicates the idea that your affair is a cut above the competition. While arranging adequate sanitation facilities is a legal requirement, hiring a toilet attendant is not. By doing so, you’ll impress your guests and present your brand as one which goes above and beyond the call of duty to put on a high-class occasion.
Is a toilet attendant right for my event?
All of the above aspects are important to remember when considering whether or not to hire a toilet attendant, since they can add tangible value to any event. Having said that, there are certainly occasions when a toilet attendant is more appropriate than others. With that in mind, here are some suggestions of situations in which outsourcing your toilet upkeep to a professional third-party makes particular sense:
- Weddings – It’s supposed to be the happiest day of your life – so it certainly makes sense to pull out the stops to ensure that every little detail goes off perfectly. A toilet attendant can take care of one of the least glamorous but most important aspects for you.
- Corporate functions – In the world of business, first impressions can make all the difference between a signed contract and a scuppered deal. Nothing screams unprofessionalism like a dirty or out-of-order toilet, so covering all your bases with a toilet attendant is a sensible move.
- Festivals, fairs and other mass gatherings – Any portable toilet setup, regardless of its quality, is likely to suffer under the stress of thousands of daily users. Keep downtime and messiness to a minimum by contracting one or more toilet attendants to enhance the enjoyment of your revellers.
Of course, this is by no means an exhaustive list and there are plenty of other occasions which would benefit from a toilet attendant to look after the sanitation side of things. If you’re in any doubt over whether a toilet attendant is necessary or beneficial for your unique situation, feel free to contact our experienced team for some expert and impartial advice.
Toilet attendants from the best in the business
If you do decide that having a team in place to take care of any hygiene and maintenance issues with regard to your portable toilets is a good idea for your event, LetLoos are on hand to help. Over the years, we’ve provided countless clients with impeccable toilet cleaning and maintenance services, resulting in successful events all across the southeast of England.
Of course, any portable toilet rental from LetLoos comes with a weekly cleaning schedule as standard. However, for those occasions in which a more comprehensive and continual maintenance rota is required, a toilet attendant could be the solution. All of our staff are professionally trained and can work around the schedule that suits you, minimising interruption to the operational status of your toilets in particular and your event in general.
For more information on the toilet attendant services we offer, why not get in contact with us today? Our friendly team are always on hand to assuage any doubts and provide informed insight, as well as furnishing you with a free, no-obligation quote for your specific circumstances. The first step towards a cleaner and stress-free event experience is just a phone or email away. What are you waiting for?